Friday, February 26, 2010

Giving them a place to Heal

My heart's desire comes from a place of solitude and offering a safe, receptive, affirming place for women who are broken and need healing.  The literal place I have to offer is a concrete room, twenty by ten in size, where six adults feels like too many.  In this room, there is safety.  There is music, a tissue box, and an ear to hear.  There is community, prayer, affirmation, and forgiveness.  Broken, tough women have a place to tell their stories in confidence.  They comfort, teach, and heal each other.  They live with each other day and night.  Yesterday, one of them asked me to get someone in to lead groups for drug addiction.  They want a 12-step group.  I said, “You do it.”  Then one of them said, “Yeah, I’ve been in lots of those groups.  I know how to lead that.”  Wow. Right then, she was affirmed and believing that she could do something better with her life than kite checks.  I have seen several of these women grow in their confidence as believers, as doers, as givers of their gifts.  Watching God heal women through me is the most precious experience I have had in my life.  It is giving birth, which I was never able to do.  It is celebrating every person who gave me a hand and a word and a prayer along the way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment