Saturday, September 26, 2009

What's in a name: More about Rahab

Hitchcock’s Bible Names says that Rahab has two meanings: one is “proud and quarrelsome”, and the other is “large”.  In Scripture, it is used as a symbolical name for Egypt, … symbolized as a ferocious sea-monster…”

Isaiah 30:7: For there is no use or purpose in the help of Egypt: so I have said about her, She is Rahab, who has come to an end.

Isa 51:9 Awake, awake, put on strength, O arm of Jehovah; awake, as in the days of old, the generations of ancient times. Is it not thou that didst cut Rahab in pieces, that didst pierce the monster?

It makes me wonder: What were her parents thinking ???

Did they already have kids named Purity or Truth?

The other thing I wonder is:  did she fulfill their expectations?

Haven’t you met people who just fit their names? Grace. Melody. Holly. Buck.
Do you wonder if they became their names? What about names like “Missy”? Adolf? Paris? Are you setting your child up by the name you place on them at birth?  Are you destined to be who you are, or can you change?

The Bible says in the book of Proverbs 22:1 that “a good name is to be chosen rather than great riches".


People were always getting their names changed in the Bible to reflect a change in their lives: Abram became Abraham; Sarai became Sarah. Saul (the Jew) became Paul (the Roman). Simon was changed to Peter/Cephas – the rock.  Jesus the Carpenter became Jesus Christ (The Messiah).

What I like about Rahab is that she didn’t change her name, but she changed the way that people used her name.

In the Old Testament, “Rahab” meant one thing, but in the New Testament, Rahab is the name of honor and respect.

Here’s how she was remembered in Hebrew’s 11, along with a list of honorable others:

“ By faith Rahab the harlot perished not with them that were disobedient, having received the spies with peace…”

And the thing that amazes me is: her act was not so honorable. She was saving her own skin, her family and her property. She did not ask the spies to save her town, her friends, all the people she had grown up with – no, she said. Save me and my family! But she was bold, and she had the faith to ask. She didn’t cower or let her chance at salvation slip by:  She made a deal.

I really wish I knew more about what happened between that moment and the day she met Salmon, and gave birth to Boaz. I wish there was more information about her transformation, and when she really became a woman of faith.

I wish I knew about Salmon, too. What kind of a guy would marry a hooker? I think I would have liked him. What I do know was that his father, Aminadab, was an honorable, faithful man. He was chosen to lead Judah’s army under Moses. I am assuming, that Salmon followed in his father’s footsteps.

And one more thing:

Do you know what Salmon means? “peaceable; perfect; he that rewards”.

No comments:

Post a Comment